Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Problem With Make Up Stores

This is a rather painful post for me to write considering that I'm in love with Sephora and Ulta. But, the truth is they have some serious flaws that directly affect us customers. I'm not saying to never set foot in a Sephora again, but be on the lookout when you do. 

As businesses, these make up stores/counters want you to buy as many products as your wallet will allow. How? By convincing you that you need them. How? By pointing out all your flaws and making you feel insecure. Ouch. I've walked past beautiful girls going make up shopping, only to hear the sales rep telling them they have dark circles, uneven skin tone, small eyes, large nose, thin lips... I can see the girl's confidence deflating as the list goes on. And those places have the harshest lighting ever, so when the girl looks in the mirror, of course she picks out all those imperfections. That's not ok! If a sales rep starts going on about your flaws, politely excuse yourself. ("Oh, ok. Well, thanks for your input but I think I'll just browse around for now. I'm not even sure if I'll buy anything today.") And don't take it personally- a great saleswoman could make Adriana Lima feel self-conscious. That's why I've pretty much stopped asking for help!

You're beautiful and shopping for make up should not be like shopping for a bikini! My personal philosophy is that make up should enhance your natural beauty, not create a mask to cover you up. That's not to say I don't use concealer on pimples or scars, but I'm not trying to plump my lips or contour my cheeks so they look thinner. You don't need make up, but you can definitely have fun with it! Just please, please remember you're already gorgeous- and whatever make up you apply is just high lighting that fact!

Peace, love, and kisses!
Karen

12 comments:

  1. :D lovely way to put it. agreed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a FANTASTIC post. I love me some Sephora, but I generally stick to online... I know what I like. If I'm in a store, I stay as far away from those sales reps as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed the same thing with Sephora sales people! Luckily I have one rep from Macy's Clinique that stays up on ALL brands of make up. She keeps is real with me and tells me what products are crap and what ones really work. I've gone to her for years and know I can always count on her. I just wish everyone had a sales gal like her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean, sales lady can make anyone feels bad about themselves. I like the ones who simply giving good points about the products instead of making me feel bad about myself , you know? I tend to be bitchy toward people like that.

    ps. thanks for following me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm having trouble getting my computer to let me officially Follow y'all. I'll have to try again later, but I wanted y'all to know that I'm hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for finding me. Cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post! Very true. I say embrace our differences. I mean I love Sephora - it's like a candy store! But I avoid sales reps at all costs.

    Have a great weekend & lovely blog btw!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How might I be able to accent my septum in the tone of sepia?? Hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree! I tried a foundation that was "recommended" and I feel like I am wearing a mask! Urgh!

    ReplyDelete